Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Still on Wisdom

James is so intent on expressing the importance of Godly wisdom that he uses so much of his precious paper writing more on the subject.


Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom. But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth. This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice. But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere. And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.
(James 3:13-18 ESV)

How do I know my actions are wise?

Are my acts selfish? Do I make choices that only serve to build myself up, my own reputation? Do all my actions stem from wanting others to think highly of me? Do I tell little white lies about my own accomplishments?

How wretched my own heart is! James reminded us that God gives wisdom to those who ask. God not only gives us wisdom, He gives it generously! 


I know now that this wisdom is to think deeply about my own hearts intentions.

Heart, are you acting and speaking like this in order to build me up or to build Christ up?

Heart, is this choice going to cause others heartbreak?

Heart, are you making this choice out of worldly wisdom or Christlike wisdom?

I forget to talk to myself and rethink about the truth in Scripture when I make choices.

Heart, be open to reason. Talk to your family and sisters and brothers in Christ. What do they think?

Heart, has the Holy Spirit given you peace? Are you going to be convicted if you make this choice?

I am not sure how often I consistently ask myself these questions.

Notice what James says,
"But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere. And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace."

Wisdom is a practice.

Have you ever planted anything, watered it and taken care of it. You can sit and watch it. Day in and day out take care of it and it will grow.

Wisdom is a seed that God has given generously, and time and care is necessary to see the fruits.

I am working on wisdom. I mean I am practicing wisdom through the fruits in labor.

How sincere is my heart to the grace I have received? How prone to wonder is my heart from the grace i am given?

Such is my prayer tonight from the hymn "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing"


O to grace how great a debtor 
 daily I'm constrained to be! 
 Let thy goodness, like a fetter, 
 bind my wandering heart to thee. 
 Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it, 
 prone to leave the God I love; 
 here's my heart, O take and seal it, 
 seal it for thy courts above!

No comments:

Post a Comment