Friday, March 30, 2012

Artificial Heart

Can man live an artificial heart? I don't want to be so rash as to say "NO!" but To this day not one human has lived with an artificial heart and survived. 

In 1982 one of the first artificial heart surgeries was performed on a dentist from Seattle. He suffered in agony for 112 days then passed away. 

Another man from Indiana replaced his heart and lived a little bit better of a life, but complications quickly caught up with him and he passed away. Not before speaking with Ronald Reagan and being apart of his towns parade. 


I don't think that being a cyborg makes you less human. I personally think that our humaness prevents us from allowing cyborgness from taking over. 

Our bodies are so sensitive to types of bacteria that it prevents the artificial hearts from working. 

It is hard for me to remember that my body is made up of many members, and these members are saved with me in the salvation of the LORD. In as much as these members are under the curse of sin on earth. Such as my heart. 

This made me think of Paul when he wrote. 

I am speaking in human terms, because of your natural limitations. For just as you once presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness leading to sanctification.
(Romans 6:19 ESV)

In as much as I can by the strength of Christ I will set my members towards His service. I leave my sinful heart in His hands. I leave my beating heart in His hands. Nothing artificial simply weak. 

source:http://www.wired.com/thisdayintech/2009/12/dayintech_1202jarvikheart/


No comments:

Post a Comment